Having the best hair of your life doesn’t have to be difficult or extremely expensive. If you’re a lovely African American woman and want to add some pizzazz to your appearance, then hair extensions might be your best option!
But let’s face it – there are tons of extensions on the market. How can you decide which ones are right for you and your #hairgoals?
Don’t worry, queen. I’ve looked high and low to find a compelling list of the best hair extensions for African American hair, whether you’re a kinky-coiled beauty or have relaxed locks. My favorite, by the way, is the ISEE Hair Grade 9A Mongolian Kinky Curly Hair Extensions – check them out now.
- Who Needs This?
- Best Hair Extensions for African American Hair: Top Picks 2022
- 1. ISEE Hair Grade 9A Mongolian Kinky Curly Hair Extensions (Top Pick)
- 2. Style Icon 4 Bundles Afro Kinkys Bulk Human Hair (Best Afro Extensions)
- 3. Fayasu 6 Pcs Crochet Hair Extensions (Best Crochet Extensions)
- 4. SixStarHair Pack Remy Human Hair Clip In Hair Extensions (Best Clip-Ins for Relaxed Hair)
- 5. YMHPRIDE 3 Pack Long Ponytail Extension (Best Ponytail Extension Pack)
- Best Hair Extensions for African American Hair: Things to Consider in 2022
- Final Thoughts
Who Needs This?
Any African American woman looking to add some more length or body (or both) to her mane should consider wearing extensions. It doesn’t matter what texture your hair is; there are extensions to suit your needs.
Extensions are great for women who are looking for a temporary or more permanent change. For example, an African American beauty might want to add dramatic length to her ponytail for a wedding. In contrast, another gal wants semi-permanent length to wear every day to the office.
Best Hair Extensions for African American Hair: Top Picks 2022
I can’t wait to share with you my top picks! These hair extensions for African American hair are seriously going to wow you, girl. Below, you’re destined to find the perfect match. It’s time to bring out your hair fantasies!
1. ISEE Hair Grade 9A Mongolian Kinky Curly Hair Extensions (Top Pick)
There are so many reasons to love these weave hair extensions; where do I even start? Well, let’s start with the fact that these extensions are made with beautiful, 100% human hair. This ensures a soft and healthy feel and a look that is highly organic and desirable.
Secondly, just look at those tight coils. These extensions seriously know how to showcase some gorgeous kinky curls. They’re full of volume and flare, giving you an instant boost after application. Did I mention they’re easy to manage, too? Yes, please!
The best part about these 9A grade extensions is that they come with three bundles coming in at 300 grams of hair. Incredible. With so much hair, it’s a cinch to create a voluminous look. Go short and sassy with 12 inches or turn heads with 26 inches.
- Made with 100% 9A human hair.
- Flawless kinky curl craftsmanship.
- Available in lengths 12 inches up to 26 inches.
- Three bundles with 300 grams of hair.
- Always holds a curl, even after washing and styling.
- Little shedding.
2. Style Icon 4 Bundles Afro Kinkys Bulk Human Hair (Best Afro Extensions)
Girl, if you’re killin’ it with that Afro look, then let me tell you this: these extensions are only going to add more dimension to your look. These hair extensions have a marvelous Afro texture and appearance and are available in lengths 10 inches up to 20 inches.
These soft Afro twist extensions come in a package with four bundles with 50 grams of hair each. That means 200 grams of hair in total, which is enough to seriously enhance your Afro look, honey.
All of the extensions are designed using 100% human hair to ensure superior softness and a shine like no other. You will love styling these extensions into your look, creating a voluminous look that is highly desirable.
- Made with 100% 9A human hair.
- Gorgeous Afro twist craftsmanship.
- Available in lengths 10 inches up to 20 inches.
- Four bundles with 200 grams of hair.
- Always holds the Afro texture, even after washing and styling.
- Some shorter pieces tossed into the hair.
3. Fayasu 6 Pcs Crochet Hair Extensions (Best Crochet Extensions)
There’s a reason why so many celebrities, including Solange Knowles and Keke Palmer, rock crochet braids. For one, they’re intricate and full of dimension. Secondly, they’re stunning in every way. Thirdly, they give off a serious fashion flare that plenty of women adore.
If you’re a girl that struts her stuff with some crochet hair up top, then you will love these extensions. They’re available in 12 or 16 inches, so they’re best for shorter-haired queens. The pack comes with six pieces per pack with around 60 grams.
- Made with high-quality synthetic fibers.
- Fascinating and smart crochet craftsmanship.
- Available in lengths 12 inches or 16 inches.
- Six pieces with 60 grams of hair.
- Will need multiple packs for most.
- May have an off smell upon delivery.
4. SixStarHair Pack Remy Human Hair Clip In Hair Extensions (Best Clip-Ins for Relaxed Hair)
If you’re a babe with relaxed hair, don’t worry – I did not forget about you. Well, when it comes to relaxed locks, one of the best methods of application is clip-in. Yes, they are temporary options compared to a weave, but they’re easy enough to do yourself in just a few minutes.
These ranked as my best clip-in for African American hair because they are made with Remy human hair, which is incredibly high-quality and pliable. You can wash, cut, dye, curl, and straighten this hair with ease.
I love that the package comes with seven pieces weighing 120 grams, whether you go the 12-inch route or the 22-inch. You will love these stunning relaxed tresses and will have so much fun creating unique and fascinating styles with them.
- Made with 100% Remy human hair.
- Beautiful relaxed straight hair.
- Available in lengths 12 inches or 22 inches.
- Seven pieces with 120 grams of hair.
- Bit of tangling.
5. YMHPRIDE 3 Pack Long Ponytail Extension (Best Ponytail Extension Pack)
I don’t know about you, but I love a good ponytail. Unfortunately, using my natural hair will never give me Instagram-ready ponytails. Are you in the same boat? Not anymore! With this three-pack of ponytails, you will be working the Instagram feed in no time.
Inside the package, you will find three different high-quality and stunning textures. It comes with a straight ponytail, a corn wave ponytail, and a curly wave ponytail. With a three-in-one pack, you can spend less money and have more variety when styling.
Whether you’re rocking an updo, a half updo, or your own type of style, it’s a cinch with these ponytail extensions. They have options up to 30 inches, so it’s a breeze to find your perfect length match!
- Made with high-quality synthetic fibers.
- Three packs of ponytails with straight, corn wave, and curly wave.
- Available in lengths 22 inches up to 30 inches.
- Tangles and fluffs up easily.
Best Hair Extensions for African American Hair: Things to Consider in 2022
It’s easy to want to dive right in and make a purchase. But without checking off a few ‘must-have’ things to consider first, you might end up wasting your money; and who wants that? Forget the mishaps and mistakes and consider these few things while shopping.
African American hair comes in a variety of textures, whether natural or applied at the salon. Some women may have afro hair or kinky curls, while others prefer a relaxed look. Which queen are you? Find extensions that match your current look.
Type of Extension
There’s a lot of extension types on the market. Clip-ins are going to be the most temporary option as they go in and out with ease. Weaves, on the other hand, can last for months at a time. However, they will likely need to be applied with professional help.
Length and Density
Another two important items to add to your checkoff list are length and density. The more density (noted in ‘grams’), the more thickness in the package. Sometimes density changes with the hair’s size, so pay close attention to both when shopping around.
Any of these best hair extensions for African American hair will work wonders, whether you want semi-permanent kinky curls or temporary relaxed locks.
My favorite remains the ISEE Hair Grade 9A Mongolian Kinky Curly Hair Extensions because the texture is gorgeous, and I love that they’re semi-permanent. There is also a wide range of lengths to choose from, all of which come with plenty of density for a full head.